11 September 2006

9/11

If there was one thing I disliked more than another after 9/11, it was arguments that the attacks proved the necessity of adopting some piece of the speaker's preexisting domestic agenda. I find, five years on, that I feel the same way about use of the anniversary for political gain. Today, I've watched the airplane fly into the southern tower, I've watched the towers burn, I've watched men and women jump to their deaths rather than be burned alive, I've watched the towers fall, I've seen the smoke billowing out of the Pentagon. I have tried to relive the day anew. Today is for the honored dead and I have no greater lesson to draw than sometimes we're at the wrong place at the wrong time.

[NB For those who are looking to relive the day, CNN will be rebroadcasting its 9/11/01 programming beginning at 8:30 ET here.]

No comments: